- Start Young. The sooner you and/or your little ones are exposed to a lifetime of giving, the greater the likelihood it will become part of who you are and what you do. It is never too early, but it is also never too late!
- Be consistent. The more regularly you give, the more it will become a part of your lives. But if you fall off, don't let that hold you back. You can always pick up and start giving again!
- Be informed. Make sure you learn about and explain about what it is that you are doing and why. Giving becomes more meaningful when you feel connected to it and little ones absorb more than you might expect.
- Be a role model. Participate in acts of giving and share how you give with others. Not only might you inspire others, but they might inspire you!
- Involve each family member. Give everyone options, think about strengths and interests, let everyone participate and explain the action/benefit in ways you can all understand. Freedom and choice provide us all with a sense of ownership and accountability.
- Praise, but not too much. Validation and positive feedback are great. Just be cautious that you aren't setting everyone up to expect praise! A huge piece of giving is not expecting anything in return.
- Giving isn't predictable. It is a unique process and a lifelong journey, so try to roll with it and be flexible.
- Have fun and think creatively. Giving looks different for everyone. Do what works best for you!